December 27th, 2009 by omar , No CommentsPrint This Post
This one came up during convo yesterday, and I was inspired to post the recipe here. Check out the details below…
- 1 lb pig’s trotters
- 1 lb pig’s face and ears
- 1 lb shoulder steak (pork)
- Juice of 4 large lemons or 5 large limes
- ¼ pint vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 – 2 cucumbers
- ¼ lb onions
- 1 large hot pepper or wirri-wirri peppers
- Celery (not the stalk type)
- 1½ pints water
- Clean the trotters, ears and face thoroughly.
- Boil in lightly salted water until tender, but not broken up. Place this meat in a colander and run cold water over it to remove any excess fat. Discard water in which meat has been boiled.
- Allow to cool. Peel and sliced cucumber and onion in rings, chop eschallot, pepper and celery.
- Prepare a marinade with the lemon/lime juice and vinegar, and the water. Add salt to taste.
- Arrange the meat, onion, pepper celery, eschallot and cucumber in layers in a deep dish, ending with a layer of cucumber, sprinkle with rings of pepper, chopped eschallot and celery.
- Pour the marinade over to cover the top most layer.
- Set aside at room temperature for at least 3 or four hours.
Trotters and ears can be cooked in a pressure cooker until half cooked before adding remainder of meat to simmer.